If you are nervous about seeing a dentist or concerned about extensive dental work you will need to have performed, sedation dentistry in Los Angeles, CA may be the right solution. Sleep dentistry Los Angeles providers use a combination of techniques like nitrous oxide, IV sedation, or oral sedation to help you relax and even sleep through an otherwise uncomfortable dental appointment.
Sedation dentistry in 90212 can be used for everything from routine dental cleanings and fillings to more invasive procedures like a root canal. The level of sedation can be adjusted based on your needs to keep you as comfortable as possible. Here is what you should know before you begin your search for a sleep dentist near me.
Who Can Benefit from Sleep Dentistry Los Angeles Services?
Anyone nervous about an upcoming dental appointment can benefit from sedation dentistry as it comes in many forms and helps make dental appointments more comfortable. Sedation dentistry in 90212 may be a good choice if you:
- Have anxiety or fear of going to a dentist
- Have a low pain threshold
- Require extensive or invasive dental procedures
- Have sensitive teeth
- Have difficulty sitting still for an extended period of time
To be a candidate for sedation dentistry, you should be in good overall health. You may need clearance from your doctor if you have certain conditions like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and respiratory disease, depending on the type of sedation.
What Are the Types of Sedation Dentistry in Los Angeles, CA?
There are many forms of sedation available. When you search for a sleep dentist near me, keep in mind some dentists only offer one or two options, even if they are advertised as a sedation dentist. There are four types of sedation, each with advantages and drawbacks.
- Nitrous oxide. Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is breathed with oxygen through a mask to help you relax. This mild sedation is controlled by your dentist and allows you to remain awake but relaxed during your appointment. Nitrous oxide is one of the most common options with sedation dentistry in 90212 as it wears off quickly and allows you to drive afterward.
- Oral sedation. This may include a prescription sedative like Halcion to provide mild or moderate sedation. The downside of oral sedation is it takes around 60 minutes to take effect. It also makes you drowsy which can make it unsafe to drive yourself home. Some people are able to fall asleep, but most are awake during their appointment with oral sedation. This is the impression many have of sedation dentistry Los Angeles, CA and it’s the most common solution to treating dental anxiety.
- IV sedation. This option works quickly and allows your dentist to control your level of sedation through an IV in your vein. You can choose to remain awake but relax or asleep with IV sedation. This level of sedation is moderate but does not allow you to drive after your appointment.
- Deep sedation. This form of sedation dentistry uses general anesthesi