When you have tooth pain, it can sometimes be difficult to determine whether it’s a minor pain that will soon dissipate or whether you’re headed for a full-blown abscess. Fortunately, Southland Dental Care is one of the best urgent-care dentists in the Los Angeles area, and we can help you. We’re open Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 6 pm, and on Sunday by appointment. How do you know if you need urgent dental care?
If you’re experiencing the following, you may need urgent dental care.
- If one or more of your teeth are loose, then you should seek immediate dental care. Adults should never have loose teeth. Their teeth should be firmly anchored in place, and they shouldn’t be able to wiggle them. There are several causes for loose teeth, and none of them are good. One or more loose teeth can indicate the presence of an infection, nerve or jaw damage, bruxism, or an inadequate intake of calcium. Whatever the cause, however, loose teeth should be treated promptly.
- If your gums are sore and bleeding, you should seek urgent dental care. Sore and bleeding gums can indicate the presence of gingivitis, which can cause considerable damage to your teeth and gums if it’s not treated.
- If you have a severe toothache, you should seek urgent dental care before your toothache worsens to an abscess. Early treatment is more likely to save the tooth and requires less invasive procedures than if you delay. If you have a minor toothache, then call your dentist. You’ll need a professional diagnosis in order to properly treat the cause of the pain, so this isn’t a DIY fix.
- If your gums are painful and bleeding, you may have gum disease or gingivitis. When caught in its initial stage, gingivitis is curable. However, if it remains untreated, it can progress to periodontal disease and then advanced periodontitis. By this time, periodontal disease will have done substantial damage to your teeth, your jawbone, and your facial structure. Avoid these dire consequences. If you have bleeding and painful gums, don’t ignore them.
- If one or more of your teeth have an abscess, don’t delay seeking urgent dental care. The bacteria and inflammation from an abscess can travel throughout your body and cause severe health problems, up to and including death. If you have an abscess, seek urgent dental care without delay.
- If you have a swollen jaw, you may have an infection that will need professional intervention. If your swollen jaw is accompanied by a fever, a bad taste in your mouth, or trouble with swallowing or breathing, then you should seek immediate treatment from your urgent care dentist.
- If you’re plagued with persistent headaches, then contact your urgent care dentist. Although there can be many reasons for a headache, your teeth are the best place to start since they’re connected to your head.
- If you have a canker sore that refuses to heal, you may have one that’s infected, or there may be another open sore in your mouth. Your urgent care dentist will be able to diagnose and treat your canker sore so that it heals.
- If you have a metallic taste in your mouth, then contact your urgent care dentist. Sometimes, an old filling can crack or need to be replaced. You may need a root canal or a new filling, but you should seek treatment without delay.
- If your painful tooth has suddenly gone numb, it may indicate that an infection has spread, and you need to get it removed. It’s never a good idea to leave an infected tooth untreated because it can adversely affect your physical health as well as your oral health.
If you have any of the above signs and you’re always tired, then you should contact your urgent care dentist. Sometimes dental issues can cause exhaustion as the body is working overtime to heal.
Do You Need Urgent Dental Care?
If you live in the Los Angeles area and you need urgent dental care, then call Southland Dental Care to schedule an appointment. We’re open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and Saturday by appointment. We’re conveniently located at 4312 Woodman Avenue, Suite 100, in Sherman Oaks, CA 91423. Our patients rate us as one of the best in the Los Angeles area, and we strive to maintain our excellent reputation.
Need Other Dental Care Services?
In addition to urgent dental care, we provide a full range of dental services that include the specialty areas of implants, cosmetic dentistry, and periodontics, as well as general dental services.
Whatever type of dental care services you need, call Southland Dental Care first at 818.788.8787. We look forward to working with you.