Missing tooth is a problem that affects many people. The condition can be caused by an accident, disease, or just the natural aging process. Fortunately, there are many solutions for missing teeth in 2022 – including dental implants and dentures. In the United States, there is an average of nine missing teeth per person as of 2017. This number can rise to 12 per person in 2022 if proper dental care isn’t taken. The best way to prevent this from happening is by getting regular teeth cleanings and making sure you brush your teeth twice each day. If you already have missing or damaged teeth, make sure that you see your dentist regularly for wisdom tooth extractions, and other dental treatments that may be needed—discussed below is what to do with a missing tooth.
Options for Missing Teeth
There are many options for missing teeth, including:
Dental implants are among the great options for missing teeth as they provide a permanent, long-lasting solution. Your dentist will insert an implant post into the jawbone during the procedure where the tooth would normally sit. The root of this implant is shaped like a real tooth and can be used to hold an artificial crown in place. Dental implants are made using titanium, a metal compatible with the human body and fusing your bone tissue over time. Implants look and feel like real teeth as they help you chew and speak comfortably.
Dental implants can be used for:
- Replacing a single tooth
- Re-establishing a full arch
- Restoring an implant bridge
While the cost of dental implants in Los Angeles can vary depending on your specific needs, it is a great option for restoring your smile and normal oral function. As with most dental treatments, there are some precautions you should consider before getting this procedure done – such as potential side effects or certain allergies. Before getting dental implants, make sure to discuss all of your options with a dentist or specialist that knows your medical history.
Advantage of Dental Implants
The benefits of dental implants include:
- They are permanent. The dental implant post will fuse with your jawbone over time, providing sturdy support that will last for many years to come.
- Dental implants are easy to clean. Since the titanium root becomes one with your bone tissue, it won’t trap plaque or bacteria in the same way that regular teeth do.
- Full arch dental implants provide a natural look and feel. With tooth-colored crowns that are made precisely to mimic your real teeth, dental implants will give you a smile you’ve always wanted.
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
The disadvantages of dental implants include:
- The cost. Dental implants require a rather expensive procedure and aren’t covered by insurance in most cases. However, the benefits of dental implants make it worth it for many people as they can last for several years to come with proper care. If you want to have full arch dental implants, the cost will be high.
- The recovery time is longer than other options. You cannot eat or drink anything other than water for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
- There are some risks involved. As with most procedures, there is always a risk that something goes wrong during implantation. However, if you choose to get dental implants in 2022, the professionals at your dentist’s office will help mitigate any risks that may come along with the procedure. If you have a missing molar tooth, they will advise you on the best missing back teeth solutions.
Are Dental Implants Painful?
One of the questions we get from most patients is, are dental implants painful? The answer is no. The process of getting implants is painless because the dentist will use a local numbing agent to make your gums feel numb. Once this happens, you should rest without feeling any discomfort or pain in your mouth. However, if you have a low threshold for pain, we advise that you take some ibuprofen an hour before the procedure begins. The general rule is t